Thursday, April 24, 2008

New Flower City Hotpot

Finally we got to have our hotpot extravaganza! A big thank you for to G for taking us to this place!

I knew we were in the right place when we got presented the tray of dipping sauces. There were soy, chili sauce, freshly chopped chili, minced garlic, chopped spring onions, parsley, cilantro, XO sauce to name a few. Pretty hardcore!

The dish which the restaurant for: thinly sliced beef loin. The pieces were so thin they were like paper. The marbled cut if the meat made it very tender and cooking time was less than 10 seconds. It was so good we had to have second serving.

Beef cubes. They look fatty at a glance but I guess it's the exact same reason that they were very tender and juicy - unlike stew meat.

Ox tongue. It was my first time having it in hotpot; to be honest it tasted just like beef. If I had to eat it on a regular basis I think I would have it in Korean-style BBQ. It's more interesting when it's fried and a little crunchy.

The assortment of meat balls and vegetables.

Hand-made wonton. They were pretty good.

The bag of dough is called "fish noodle". It had a floury consistency but I am pretty sure there's mashed up fish in in. It's usually a little thinner than what we had here.

Lamb in thin slices. It's the only dish we didn't finish that night: the meat was so fat we got intimidated. I did try a piece and after I picked all the fat off there was not much left. The little meat I got to have was actually very very nice. It was pack full of what lamb should taste like-very rich and almost gamy. A nice surprise!

Hand-made pork and mushroom balls. My husband's favourite.

Some kind of tofu thing with lots of air pockets. Basically it worked like a sponge soaking up all the soup base.
We got ice cream for dessert! Yes! Dinner for 5 came to RMB1200. Will come back next winter for another round of meat fest!

New Flower City Hotpot
58 Dong Hu Rd. (nr. Huai Hai Rd.) Shanghai. Tel: 5467-0336

No comments: