Friday, April 03, 2009

Stillers Restaurant and Cooking School

A relatively new addition to the SH dining scene, Stillers has had all the hype and I was more than excited to try it out.

I was impressed with the bread basket.  I love a full basket of bread on the table.  Places which try to serve you bread almost never replenish it often enough, and I always feel rushed to pick something.  

Butter and bread spreads.  Loved the pesto one.

Small starters.  Everything tasted quite delicate and I knew we were onto a good start.

Duck foie gras Berlin style with apple, onion and potato-mash (RMB165).  My dad said it was excellent.

Dill cured trout fillet with smoked potato salad and horseradish sauce (RMB145).  It was the best trout I ever had.  I was worried that it would be a little dry and salty -as it's the impression I had with cured fish.  This dish, however, totally redefine everything I ever knew about cured fish.  The flesh was ever so delicately moist it flaked off the fork easily.  It was juicy with hints of flavour but at the same time I could taste the fish.  I would go back just to have this dish!

Beef tenderloin with truffle crust(RMB310).  Our jaws dropped when we saw the size of the beef.  Three-inches thick and the size of a (big) palm, one had to put the food pyramid behind for a little while.  The steak was cooked to perfection and it was so tender it melted in my mouth.  Outstanding!

the potato dish on the side.

My half lobster with asparagus (RMB250) from the recession menu.  It was not bad but it wasn't nearly as not as good as the one I had in Laris.  

Our pre-dessert with some kind of sorbet.  

Even though I was bursting I decided to cram some bread-pudding in.  It was worth it.  Sweet and almost glutinous it was a perfect dish to finish the meal.

Dinner for two came to just over RMB1400.  Service was friendly and relaxed but efficient, and our waiter actually had a great sense of humour!
Stillers Restaurant and Cooking School
The Cool Docks, 505 Zhong Shan Rd. South, (nr. Fuxing Rd.), Shanghai.  Tel: 6152-6501

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looking for an overpriced restaurant in shanghai with sub-par food? Look no further then Stiller's. Feature dishes, expertly prepared, such as overcooked fish and raw chicken await you.