Sunday, June 15, 2008

Wash-off Face Masks

The long-overdue mask review. Prices are estimates.

Suisse Program Renewing Cream Mask (~HK$600/200ml)

I would give it 2 out of 10 at most. I was told that this mask is similar to the Valmont renewal mask but I don't see any similarity at all. I don't really know what this mask does other than leaving a tangling sensation on the skin while it's on. In fact my skin feels a little fried afterwards. I don't think I will try another Suisse Program product ever again because the eye cream I got sucks big time also.

*****************************

Isomarine Intensive Moisturizing Mask (~HK$450/50ml)

My rating: 8 out of 10. I actually think it works! Skin is very soft and supple after use. Can be used around sensitive eye area as well. My only complaint: it's quite pricey...I wonder if I should buy another after I finish this one.


*********************************

Origins Drink Up (~HK$180/100ml)

My rating: 7 out of 10. I love the price and the refreshing apricot smell and that's why I am giving it a 7. In terms of moisturising it's not as effective as Isomarine but my skin do feel refreshed and rejuvenated after each use. I leave it on for more than 10 mins usually - until the mask turns transparent - around 20 mins. It's not a corrective mask to be used in emergencies but it's a very nice everyday maintenance. Will keep on buying more.


*****************************************************

Biotherm Aquasource Emergency Hydration Mask (~HK$280/75ml)

My rating: 5 out of 10. More expensive than the Origins Drink Up but not as effective. It doesn't even do anything to my skin on a normal day and I have no faith whatsoever that it would act as an "emergency hydration mask". A bit of a waste of time and I have piled it up with one of my better-than-nothing masks.
******************************************

Vichy Rehydrating Thermal Mask (~HK$250/50ml)

My rating: 6 out of 10. It works better than the Biotherm one but the result is not really significant. It does replenish moisture slightly but with this price tag I'd rather go for the Origins Drink Up once again.
******************************************************

Yves Saint Laurent Hydra Feel Gentle Rehydrating Mask (~HK$280/75ml)

My Rating: 1 out of 10. I don't usually hate a mask - even if it's not overly effective I will still use it since I have a daily mask ritual and the better-than-nothing masks are still somewhat useful in my case.

I absolutely hate this mask however. It's impossible to wash off as it leaves a film of oily substance on skin after. I think that's what they meant by "leaving skin soft and smooth" but it's extremely annoying. The fragrance is very artificial also. Disappointing!

***************************************************

Bioderma Hydrabio Mask (~HK$350/75ml)

My rating: 5 out of 10. Again it replenishes moisture but it's no miracle. Another day-to-day maintenance mask. Nothing special.
*************************************************

Coreana Nokdu Pure Pack (~HK$50/100ml)

My rating: 4 out of 10. Recommended by a salesgirl in Seoul I thought I'd give the brand Coreana a try. It is supposed to cleanse but I have yet to see any evidence of cleansing. It doesn't do a bad job moisturising but I have to say the smell of dried/stale seaweed is too much for me, especially first thing in the morning.
************************************************

The Face Shop Chinese Herb Mask (~HK$80/120ml)

My rating: 2 out of 10. I didn't have any hope on the products from The Face Shop but while I was in Seoul I thought I'd give it a try. This mask was the most expensive one and allegedly the star product. From what I gathered there's Chinese herbs as well as ginseng in the mask. The result: a complete waste of time. I seriously don't know what it does.

No comments: