Tuesday, April 17, 2007

La Casbah

A small and intimate cafe with just 15 seats, the place is always full of customers every time we walk past. I have been told that the pizzas there are not bad and yesterday I decided to give it a try.

The small menu featured 9 different pizzas, sandwiches, salads, cakes and drinks. The cakes looked lame, like the local bakery varieties. Forget saving room for dessert, it's pizza time! I would normally go for the pepperoni but since the house La Casbah pizza (RMB36) was on the today's special I decided to order it without even checking to see what's on it. Then I found out it was beef and olive - a little odd but ever since I started writing this blog I actually want to try weird things.
It took a little while before the pizza arrived (and I was one of the 2 customers there who ordered food) but it was well worth the wait. I loved the freshly made thin crust! I wished I had ordered pepperoni though. I was expecting hamburger meat but it was more like micro beef dust and olives. The toppings tasted a little bland, and had an armpit undertone: I tend to associate cumin with armpit smell - it's just me - and there's absolutely nothing wrong with the pizza. In fact I ate the whole thing because the crust was so fresh and crispy.

My watermelon juice (RMB15) was freshly made and NOT watered down for a change. I would opt for a large one next time to get some decent gulps though.

La Casbah (it delivers)
1554 Huai Hai Rd. Central (near Wulumuqi Rd.), Shanghai. Tel: 6471-2821

No comments: