Sunday, April 08, 2007

The Cupola

I almost died when my husband led me up the stairs heading to the Cupola. He was very careful not to let me know where we were heading and I have to say he was very good in giving me false hints.

Dubbed the most romantic place in the world, the room was beautiful and memorable. The Billie Holiday music in the background and the killer view from the terrace added a nice retro ambiance to the atmosphere.

While you can choose a menu from any of the restaurants in the building, my husband had arranged in advance the seasonal menu from Jean Georges. We were given some kind of champagne flavoured balls to start the meal. I think. We didn't understand a word the waitress was saying. Anyhow back to the food. I don't like things which burst in the mouth...it's a scary sensation and it makes me think of child birth even. I didn't get a taste of the liquid inside as I was pretty freaked out and I swallowed the liquid as quick as I could, Fear Factor style. My husband said it had a faint champagne and lychee (lychee??) taste to it. Interesting. I was more interested in what the skin was made out of as it melted right after it ruptured. Errrg it makes me weak just thinking about it.

Our first course was kingfish sashimi and watermelon with wasabi and daikon sauce. The kingfish had a very robust taste and the watermelon provided a interesting balance. The daikon (Japanese radish) sauce didn't taste of anything but I have to say I have no idea what it should taste like to begin with.

Then we had the fresh picked crab salad, papaya marinated with cardamom and coconut yogurt. I don't know why but I didn't take a picture of it for some reason. The crab salad was delicious! The meat was freshly shredded and nicely infused with the coconut dressing. Loved it!

The sea bass, cucumber with basil vinaigrette was next. We loved the delicate flavours of the dish. The cucumber was surprisingly crunchy.

Next came the crunchy tiger prawns, avocado purée, and pineapple juice. The prawns were indeed very crunchy and fresh...truth be told the bottle of champagne probably made everything taste so much better.

We were getting pretty full at that point but another course were swiftly served. The braised short ribs, celery-sesame salad, with celeriac purée had a fusion taste to it. The pork was so tender it flaked off easily without using a knife. The sauce tasted a lot like sweet Chinese vinegar but we couldn't really pinpoint it. The celery salad provided a contrasting (crisp) texture and the sesame dressing went well with the vinegar sauce.

We had no idea what the dessert was called and we barely made out the instruction that we should start clockwise from the upper left corner. All of them were nice especially the melting chocolate pudding down at the bottom.
All in all it was probably the most romantic "restaurant" we've been and the food was tasty. There were a few service related hiccups to the otherwise perfect evening though. Firstly the service was not as discreet as some suggested (lets say we didn't feel like we had a long enough time interval being alone between the courses). Perhaps we had to rush as we found out later that we had to leave by mid-night for some reason, even though the rest of the place was open till the wee hours. Bummer! They could at least mention it when we made the booking and we would have gotten there a little earlier. Instead we felt like we were ushered to go when we just barely finished our wine. Lastly my husband also pre-ordered a birthday cake but they simply FORGOT about it. Now that's bad.

A big thank you and many kisses for my husband for the planning and lying. :-) He booked the place 2 months in advance!

7/F, Three On The Bund, Shanghai. Tel: 138-1778-8855

No comments: