Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Hallo Knut!

I am sure most of you have seen Knut on the news, as he is one popular baby bear! I found a few more pictures of him on the Spiegel Online site:
I can't believe some people has suggested that Knut should be killed. The argument goes something like he'll lose touch with the bear necessities because he's raised by human hand, and it's not appropriate to the species and therefore a violation of animal welfare laws.

Knut was born in a zoo and his parents are zoo animals! Should we breed animals in zoos? I would say yes if we are to keep this whole zoo idea going, it beats capturing more animals from the wild. Knut unfortunately will live in a zoo setting for the rest of his life without the possibility of rehabilitation in the wild. I should think that makes him different from the polar bears captured at the Churchill polar bear "jail", where contact between bear and human is strictly prohibited. I feel terribly bad for the animals in zoos but killing a healthy baby bear?

Check out the Knut blog for pictures and videos!!

No comments: