Tuesday, May 13, 2008

famous Yuen Long snacks

Finally I made it to Yuen Long aka cow pat country. Sorry V I had to take the piss.

I had heard so much about Victory beef balls I was genuinely excited with anticipation. With at least 3 shops in the block the place was still packed - must be a good sign.

There wasn't really a menu. You can have beef balls or beef brisket with noodles. I decided to try both.

The beef balls were good - quite beefy with a nice consistency.

Beef brisket with rice noodles. The soup base was very very strong with a star anise base. Not bad. The brisket was a bit fatty but very tender. I think I like the beef balls better. I found the portion very stingy though. I walked out half full....

Next stop: some kind of dai pai dong famous for its French toast. Man it was good. I wish I could have more (V insisted that we shared). :-(

Pan-fried pork chop with noodles seemed to be a hit also and I wasn't going to let the opportunity pass. The verdict: loved it! The chop was really tender and had that melt-in-your-mouth texture. The seasoning was surprisingly nice as well - I wonder what the secret marinate was. It was well worth the wait!

And thank you V for treating me!

I am not sure whether I would go all the way to cow pat country to have these, but they are nice if you happen to be there.

No comments: