Friday, January 23, 2009

Citizen Cafe

Our plan for lunch was to try out the new Eduardo Vargas creation Osteria but to our disappointment it "ran out of food" for that particular day.  How strange.  We settled in the very busy Citizen Cafe at the end.   

Bread was soft and warm.  I suspect the fact that we were starving at that point anything would have tasted good.

Nasty nachos(RMB39).  My husband said it wasn't nasty enough, or it was very nasty, depending on how you look at it.   The chips were Doritos chips which was odd if you ask me.

Spring chicken with Lyonnaise potatoes(RMB85).  Somehow we got fries instead.  It's one of those strange chicken with no breast/body but just wings and legs.  For someone like my husband who hates skin and bones he was not very satisfied to say the least.

Grilled New Zealand rack of lamb with char grilled vegetables(MB132).  The lamb was tender and nicely grilled but I felt like I was grossly overpaying for what I got.  Besides, the pesto sauce was way too salty and overpowering.

Basically they are charging restaurant prices (expensive too by SH standards) but they are offering cafe settings and standards.  Think smokey and noisy coffee shop with people jabbering away while you are trying to have your mediocre meal.  Not a good experience.

222 Jin Xian Rd. (nr. Shan Xi Rd.), Shanghai.  Tel: 6258-1620

No comments: