Monday, January 14, 2008

Pierre, Mandarin Oriental

Finally we had a chance to try Pierre, a creation by Pierre Gagnaire. Loved the table decoration: the bears were made out of white chocolate!

We had a good look on the very interesting (strange if you ask me) menu. There are a number of starters and each consist of one main ingredient with 3 or 4 ways of cooking. The main course selection paled in comparison: it was a choice between a beef, a pork, a fish and a chicken dish.

Our complementary appetisers...I don't really remember what they were but the were pretty neat and tasty.

Since we didn't see anything inspiring for mains we decided to order starters only and had them up the portions. My husband picked lobster (HK$888) and it consisted of lobster bisque, lobster tempura, some kind of mousse and an actual tail. He said everything was nicely cooked but nothing exceptionally special.

I picked langoutines (HK$590) and was excited to see all the dishes. Here is the poached langoustine with some kind of (spinach?) puree. As the sauce was light and faint the fresh taste of langoustine was bursting out. Interesting!

Next was the langoustine tail cooked in a turmeric based sauce. Again the meat was very nicely cooked and the turmeric worked well with the texture. It was certainly exciting for the taste buds but not overpowering.

I don't remember much about this dish actually....so I am guessing it was probably average. It was interesting to look at though.

Some kind of langoustine sashimi..I didn't want anything raw so my husband polished it off for me. He didn't really say much about it.

My langoustine bisque. Creamy and not too fishy.

We were almost full after the starters but desserts had to be done! A little sherbet before the grand finale.

Like our starters desserts were made up with 3 to 4 different components. My husband's chocolate souffle (HK$200) came with sherbet and a shot of liqueur.

My Sicilian (HK$160) had some kind of chocolate cake. Loved the sugar coated blueberries. There were also mousse, jelly, and a shot of grappa.
With tea and coffee and a half bottle of wine the meal came to just over HK$3000. While we enjoyed the food we didn't think it was as good as Caprice. We probably won't be going back.
25/F, Mandarin Oriental Hotel, 5 Connaught Rd., Central, Hong Kong. Tel: 2825-4001

No comments: