Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Bar Boulud

I can't believe I had never thought of eating at the Mandarin of all the times we were in Knightsbridge.   I'm so glad I decided to give it a try because its a perfect lunch spot and a good break from the crazy shopping! 
It was surprising to see a 3-course set meal with French influence at £23.  Eating at any fast food joint would easily cost more than that.  To start there were 3 choices and from the salad and pork head cheese terrine I picked butternut soup.  With pumpkin seeds, caraway marshmallow, pain d' epices, it was probably the best butternut soup I had had.
For main course I had the choice of fish, chicken or mussels.  I decided to go for the butter poached cod, crispy brandade, spinach, cauliflower, capers, lemon.  I have to say the fish was very average and it wasn't particularly flavourful.  The side dishes were not interesting either.  I probably shouldn't be too critical for the price I was paying.
I decided to have something light to finish my meal and coconut sorbet was perfect.  For somebody with a bigger tummy there was chocolate biscuit with coffee ice cream or cheese plate to choose from.  Again I think it's excellent value in Knightsbridge.
Bar Boulud
Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park,  66 Knightsbridge, London, SW1X 7LA, UK.  Tel: 020 7201-3899

No comments: