Saturday, November 22, 2008

The Park Tavern

My last visit to the Park Tavern was quite a pleasant one and on this Sat afternoon I decided to take my husband there.  It was a nice long walk with the Little One in her stroller - too bad the pollution was pretty bad and we all got a bit of a nose congestion afterwards

It was almost 2:30 in the afternoon and the garden was pretty quiet with 2 other tables.   As I seem to remember the burger there was pretty nice my husband decided to give it a try.  Funny enough he went for the vegetarian version and it's basically like a fried bubble and squeak ball.    Too bad the mashed potato was a bit dry and the ball was quite crumbly and was falling apart.  We liked the chips very much though and it's the only place in Shanghai where they brought over a bottle of malt vinegar after we ordered.

My bangers and mash.  I remember it being so-so last time but I thought I'd give it another try.  The verdict:  skip it.  The sausages didn't taste too bad but they had bits of gristly stuff in them which I had to spat out (pardon me).  I didn't want to think about what they might have been.  The gravy was too thin without a whole lot of taste.  I think I will be better off with a pie or a burger next time.

Although Tetley's was on the drinks menu it wasn't available.  We got a pint of Boddingtons instead but it looked very much like it was from a can.

It was still a pleasant afternoon even though the garden is not as nice as Paulaner's.

The Park Tavern
840 Heng Shan Rd. (nr. Tian Ping Rd.), Shanghai.  Tel: 5465-9312

No comments: