Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Paulaner Braeuhaus

The beer garden is now officially my dad's favourite place in Shanghai.  I guess you can't really ask for more: home brewed beer, large garden with parking, all in the middle of the city.  It's quite a good and quick escape from the busy Shanghai scene.

Our bread basket wasn't bad at all.  Loved the spreads.  I often wondered what the bottom one is made of.  It couldn't be lard, could it?
My dad had the goulash soup (RMB42) to start.  He said it was pretty tasty.
Braised smoked pork neck(RMB118).  The cut of meat was so tender it melted in my mouth.  There was a very subtle smokey taste which added flavour to the already very tasty dish.

My dad was convinced that he wanted cold pickled herring(RMB145) even though we warned him that he might not like it.  The moment he looked at the dish he knew he had ordered the wrong thing.  For some reason he thought it was going to be raw (apparently he had it somewhere in Germany and really liked it).  It's highly unlikely that they'd have raw herring in Shanghai (and even if they do I'd probably stay away from it).  Anyway this version was rather fishy according to him and he did not like it one bit.  Then again he never liked fish usually.

My grilled pork knuckle (full portion RMB168, mine was half).  I should have gone for the full one as there was no much to eat by the time I picked the crackle and fat off.  I know I know I shouldn't be having pork knuckle if I don't eat the crackle but I honestly can not do it.

I think the food is average and a little expensive.  Still I will be back as there isn't a whole lot of other options now that Dan's Farmhouse is not very good anymore.

Visit during the week for a much more relaxing (and quiet) atmosphere.

Paulaner Braeuhaus
150 Fen Yang Rd. (nr Fu Xing Rd.), Shanghai.  Tel: 

No comments: