Thursday, February 15, 2007

Xin Ji Shi, part deux

Back to Xin Ji Shi again for lunch. Unlike last time we decided to give the dim sum dishes a try.

My friend U recommended the yun tun soup - which I suspect is the northern cousin of wonton. The filling composed of finely chopped green and white veg -parley and bamboo shoots perhaps? Maybe pak choi? It was all good. The peppery soup was definitely a highlight as well. We loved it! And there were so many of them! There must have been 7 or 8 in one portion? It was almost a meal on its own.
Steamed xiao long bao with crab meat. Different in style compared to the Taiwanese version (thinner pastry) at Ding Tai Fing, but equally as good. The pork + soup filling was actually VERY rich in taste. I didn't taste any crab meat but I was happy nonetheless.
Spring rolls with three vegetables. Couldn't tell which three veg but probably the usual suspects = carrots, mushroom, and bamboo shoots? I didn't care because the moment I had my first bite I decided that it was so good I shoved down the whole thing in half a second. It was so crispy and fresh I feared that any delay would ruin it.
We also ordered the signatures dishes: pork ribs cooked in brown sugar and vinegar, and the Shanghai fried noodles. As usual our eyes were bigger than our bellies.
The bill came to RMB 175 for the two of us.
Xin Tian Di Restaurnt. Shanghai. Tel: 6336-4746

No comments: