Thursday, April 12, 2012

Xin Wang Restaurant 新旺茶餐厅

I fell victim to Xin Wang a few years back at a different branch. Claiming to be a Hong Kong fast food joint its food was nothing remotely Cantonese let alone Hong Kong style.  I was a fool again in thinking this new branch would be different.  After all the restaurants are always packed with people (mind you I never saw any Cantonese speakers there, unlike Tusi Wah).  What a mistake.  My wonton was marginally acceptable.  Portion was very small and I don't think it was cheap (~RMB40).
From the special cart noodle menu I decided to give the famous Hong Kong street food a try.  There were lots of toppings to choose from and I picked a number of common ones:  fish balls amongst other things which were so unmemorable I forgot what they were.  All I can say is that the curry soup base was horrible and the toppings tasted like frozen supermarket varieties.  And they had the nerve to charge RMB6 to RMB8 per topping.  Robbery!
Xin Wang Restaurant 新旺茶餐厅
L126, Kerry Parkside, 1378 Hua Mu Rd. (nr. Fang Dian Rd.), Pudong, Shanghai.  Tel: 5891-0362

No comments: