Sunday, September 09, 2007

Cajun meatloaf

I was cheating a little with this recipe as I used the help of packet seasoning mix..I have however added the Cajun flavour to give it a bit more spice.

Ingredients:
-2 pounds minced beef
-1 chopped onion
-1 bunch chopped spring onions
-1 shredded carrot
-2 cloves of minced garlic
-1 teaspoon each of white pepper, black pepper, ground cumin, cayenne pepper
-1 table spoon each of Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco
-1 meatloaf seasoning packet
-ingredients required for packet: usually eggs, breadcrumbs and cup water
-ketchup (optional)

First fry onion, spring onion, garlic, and carrot in butter until soft. Add all dry and wet seasonings (cumin, cayenne, black & white pepper; Worcestershire and Tabasco sauces). Mix well.

In large bowl mix together 2 eggs, breadcrumbs, water, and packet mix (see your packet for quantities).

In this case I used Lipton's Beefy Onion soup mix.

Add minced beef, fried vegetable and optional ketchup (1/4 cup).

Put the well-mixed mixture to a bread loaf tin. Bake uncovered at 180C for 1 hour.

Meatloaf should be slightly brown when cooked. Slice and serve hot.

I served mine with a fried egg. Somehow they go well together. You may have gravy on the side but I find if I cheat with seasoning packets the finishing meatloaf is usually salty enough.

No comments: