Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Sir Elly's

Set dinner (RMB580) at Sir Elly's again. Our amuse bouche with chestnut mousse, if I remember correctly.
Jasmine soup/foam.  I am not big with foam but I did like the faint but interesting jasmine flavour in the soup.  
Scallops with endives.  I actually like the slight bitterness of endives and the tangy sauce went really well with it.  Scallops were cooked to perfection.
My smoked lobster and gnocchi came in a smoke-filled glass container before it got tipped out on my plate.  You could definitely taste the smoke, which added another interesting element to the already interesting texture of the lobster.  I wonder if it was cooked sous-vide then smoked?  The texture felt super tender and soft, it was like nothing I had tasted before.  I loved the truffle-infused gnocchi as well.
Pork fillet cooked in 3 ways - barbecued, braised and grilled.  The BBQ version reminded us of Cantonese BBQ pork a lot.  All in all all were tender and nicely executed. 
A refreshing watermelon and grapefruit sorbet to clean the palate.
Chocolate souffle.  I could eat a light and fluffy souffle any day.
Our very pretty petite four.  A very satisfying meal indeed.
Sir Elly's
13/F, Peninsula Shanghai, The Bund, Shanghai.  Tel: 2327-6756

No comments: